Aquatic Barley Straw Bales
For the prevention of new algae growth in ponds, dams and lakes
The All Natural Way to Prevent New Algae Growth
The use of Barley Straw Bales for the control of algae in water has been well documented in Europe and can be traced back to the pre industrial era, when farming and agriculture prevailed.
When Barley Straw Bales are placed in water, they begin to decompose. This process of decomposition releases phenolic compounds, these compounds have a natural signature similar to that of hydrogen peroxide. It is these natural compounds that are believed to be the factor which give barley straw its natural ability to limit new growth of algae.
Aquatic Barley Straw Bales come complete and ready to use in its own net bag and float included.
Aquatic Barley Straw Bales are made from all natural, Australian grown organic barley and is a 100% Australian made product which is grown, harvested, processed and distributed by Australian owned and operated companies.
- Aquatic Barley Straw Bales are best applied before algae appears as it works best as an algae growth suppressant, limiting new algae growth. It’s ideal for use immediately after a pond, fountain, water feature or fish tank re fill or in lakes, dams, and ponds, prior to algae first appearing or in garden water tanks all year round.
- Submerge net bag and allow bag to float close to the water’s surface.
- Place near well oxygenated areas of the pond (eg: close to waterfalls or pumps) or in the centre of the pond.
- Replace Aquatic Barley Straw Bales every 4 to 6 months.
- To maintain effectiveness, begin additional treatments one month prior to removing the previous treatment. Barley straw tends to become active in 2 weeks and effective in 4 to 6 weeks for water temperatures above 20 degrees. Water temperatures below 10 degrees activation times are around 6 to 8 weeks and become effective in 8 to 10 weeks.
- 100g Aquatic Barley Straw Bale will treat a pond of 2 square metres in surface area, regardless of water depth.
- 1kg Aquatic Barley Straw Bale will treat a pond of 20 square metres in surface area, regardless of water depth.
- If the bales begin to smell, then application rate is too high. Remove and replace with a lower rate.
- If net bag holes are restricted, clear by shaking or washing in pond water.